John D. Davis, IV, MD
John D. Davis, IV, MD
After rotating on several surgical specialty services, Dr. Davis was drawn to neurosurgery because it combined definitive structural solutions with the complexity of the nervous system. He has over 17 years of experience in neurosurgery. Dr. Davis specializes in evaluation and surgical management of spinal problems, particularly those involving nerve root compression (pinched nerves) or spinal cord compression. He enjoys the immediate and dramatic relief of pain the patients experience after a visit, which restores normal function to their lives.
Dr. Davis' clinical interests research from his residency years centered around the management of cervical spine problems. However, almost half of his practice is in the treatment of lower back or lumbar spine problems.
Dr. Davis was born in Starkville, Mississippi, and has spent most of his life calling Mississippi his home state. He attended primary and secondary schools in the Jackson area, spent his college years at Mississippi State University. Then, he was bound for medical school at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Dr. Davis returned home to Mississippi after he completed his residency to join Dr. Lynn Stringer, another founding member of NewSouth NeuroSpine, in private practice.
- Mississippi State University
Mississippi State, Mississippi
Degree: Bachelor of Science in Engineering May 1988
Summa cum laude
- The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Degree: Doctor of Medicine, May 1992
- The Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health
Degree: Masters in Health Finance and Management, May 1999
- American Board of Neurological Surgery - Certified
- Maryland Medical License (expired)
- Mississippi Medical License
- Mississippi State University Central MS Alumnus of the Year, 2014
- Distinguished Fellow, MSU Bagley College of Engineering, 2013
- Alumnus of the Year, Dept of Bio Engineering, Mississippi State University, 2013 Pulse-Mississippi Healthcare Quarterly Healthcare Hero, 2011
- Upjohn Resident Fellowship Award in Cerebrovascular Disease, 1996-1997
- National Research Service Award CA-09574-12, 1996-1997
- Alpha Omega Alpha, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Elected March 24, 1992 Phi Beta Kappa, The Johns Hopkins University, Elected Spring, 1992
- President of the Student Body, Mississippi State University, 1987-1988
- Mr. Mississippi State University, 1988
- Mississippi State University’s Outstanding Student, 1988
- Mississippi State University Hall of Fame, 1988
- Phi Kappa Phi National Fellowship for Graduate and Professional Study, 1988-1989
- Phi Kappa Phi National Scholastic Society, Mississippi State University, Elected Fall, 1986
- Student Vice-President, MSU Chapter, 1987-1988
- Blue Key Honor Society Man of the Year, Mississippi State University-1985, 1987 National Merit Finalist Scholarship, 1984